M&M Awards and Travel Support
M&M Meeting Awards
The Microscopy Society of America (MSA) and the Microanalysis Society (MAS) annually sponsor awards for outstanding papers contributed to the Microscopy & Microanalysis (M&M) meeting, which are competitively judged based upon the quality of the submitted paper. These awards are provided to students, postdoctoral researchers, and professional technical staff members to help defray travel, lodging and other costs of attending the meeting. All awardees must fit the award criteria, as described below, at the time of the M&M meeting.
Award applicants will automatically be considered for memorial scholarships, conferred by MSA based on the generous support of society sponsors.
Applicants who have previously received an M&M Meeting Award will not be considered for a second award in the same category.
All full-time students enrolled at accredited academic institutions are eligible for student awards. High school, undergraduate, and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Applicants are not required to be members of the sponsoring society.
All full-time postdoctoral researchers are eligible for post-doc awards. Applicants are not required to be members of the sponsoring society.
Professional Technical Staff Members
Full-time technologists are eligible for staff awards. In addition, the applicant must be a member of the sponsoring society, current in his or her dues for the year of the meeting.
Amount of Award
M&M Meeting Awards and memorial awards consist of full meeting registration and up to $1,000 for travel-related expenses. Original receipts must be provided to receive travel reimbursement. All award winners also receive an invitation to the Presidents' Reception, held on the Tuesday evening of the meeting.
Notification of Award
All award applicants will be notified by email of their award status approximately eight weeks after the Call for Papers deadline. Unsuccessful applicants will be permitted to withdraw their papers, should their ability to attend the meeting be contingent on the award, within one week following notification.
Requirements of Award
All award winners must present their paper in person at the M&M meeting in order to receive their award. Awardees are expected to attend and participate in the entire meeting, which runs from Sunday evening's opening reception through late Thursday afternoon.
Awardees are required to attend the Monday morning plenary session, at which their award will be conferred.
How to Apply For an M&M Meeting Award
- As part of the on-line paper submission process, an applicant must flag his or her paper for award consideration. Only one paper may be designated and considered per applicant.
- The applicant must appear as first author and presenter of the paper submitted for award.
- The applicant must provide the name, title, institution, and e-mail address of his or her supervisor, who will be contacted to provide a supporting letter and confirmation of applicability for the indicated award category (e.g. student, post-doc, or technical staff).
The M&M meeting's co-sponsoring societies confer competitively judged awards at the meeting.
MSA Student Poster Awards
We believe poster presentations are an excellent format for all participants to engage in intensive discussion with other researchers in the field. To especially encourage students to take advantage of this opportunity and submit papers for poster presentation, MSA provides cash awards to the most outstanding student posters (first author) each day (up to one in each of three categories).
Diatome Poster Awards
All posters illustrating the use of diamond-knife ultramicrotomy are eligible. Prizes include cash and Swiss watches.
MAS Best Paper Awards
MAS annually confers awards for papers presented at the M&M meeting deemed to be best in four categories. Each comes with a cash award generously provided by MAS Sustaining Members.
MSA Micrograph Competition
This competition rewards the innovative blending of art and science. Winning micrographs will be selected on the basis of artistic merit and general audience appeal. The winner of the 2018 Micrograph Competition is featured on the cover of the 2019 Call for Papers brochure. A maximum of three (3) awards will be presented; First Prize: $200; Two Second Prizes: $50 each.
- Entries must be scientifically significant
- Entries must contain novel information useful in resolving a scientific issue, and/or
- Present established information in a way that dramatically enhances its comprehension or interpretation.
- An individual may submit a maximum of two (2) entries (one award per entrant).
- Entries must have overall dimensions of 11" x 14" (horizontal or vertical), and be affixed to a stiff lightweight support (e.g. "foam board"). Micrographs may be mounted so that they have borders.
- Each entry must have a separate text sheet with the title and a 200-word (max) description of the image, including the technique and its scientific significance. Text is recommended to be printed in 14-pt Times New Roman font on a separate 8½" x 11" sheet. Entrant's name, address, employer/institution, email address, and image title shall be posted on the back of the mounted entry(ies).
- NEW! An Intent to Submit Form must be completed and emailed by 5 PM on Friday, August 3 for each entry.
- Entries must be brought to the meeting in Baltimore and mounted on the display boards by 12:00 noon on Monday, August 6, 2018.
- Non-winning entries must be removed Thursday afternoon by 3:00 PM. Micrographs remaining after that time will be discarded.
- Winners will be announced at the meeting during the Wednesday afternoon poster awards. Submitted micrographs remain the property of the entrants subject to the conditions above.
The winning image of the 2017 MSA Micrograph Competition is featured in the M&M 2018 Call for Papers brochure.