The designation "MSA Fellow" is intended to recognize those who have been conferred the Society's Distinguished Scientist Awards, as well as senior distinguished members of the Society who have been a member of the Society for at least 10 years and have made significant contributions to the advancement of the field of microscopy and microanalysis through a combination of scientific achievement and service to the scientific community and the Society itself. Successful nominations may emphasize contributions to science or service, but must demonstrate both elements to some degree. Such notable contributions could include, for example, technique development or applications, extensive service to the microscopy profession (e.g., education, outreach), and distinguished service to the Society. Election to MSA Fellow will be highly selective but should represent a broad cross-section of the MSA membership. The number of MSA members elected to Fellowship each year is restricted to no more than 0.5% of the total MSA membership.
Nominations for MSA Fellow, Class of 2022, are now open.
Nomination and election process:
- A minimum of ten years MSA membership,* except in very special circumstances.
- Current members of Council and the Fellows Committee are not eligible for nomination, nor may they participate in the nomination process.
- No self-nominations will be accepted.
- Nomination package:†
- A suggested citation statement – limited to a maximum of 30 words.
- Download THIS DOCUMENT to prepare a statement describing the nominee’s achievements or contributions: limited to a total of 10 bullet points describing the candidate’s contributions to science, service to MSA, and service to the microscopy community. Collectively the 10 bullet points must not exceed 750 words.
- Letters of nomination from a sponsor and co-sponsor, both of whom must be individual MSA members.
- No more than two additional supporting letters.
- Yearly nominating period: normally between July 1 and September 30.
- Fellows Committee makeup: Nine individual MSA members, three each from the biological sciences and the physical sciences, one each from the Education and the Technologists' Forum Committees, and the President-Elect as Committee Chair.
- Ratification: Recommendations of the Fellows Committee for the "Class of 20xx MSA Fellows" will be ratified for election by MSA Council at that year's annual Winter Council meeting.
- Recognition: Plaques designating election to MSA Fellow will be presented at the annual M&M meeting.