PMCx60 page contents
PMCx60 Program - 2019 Portland
PMCx60 Meeting Highlights
Steps to attend the PMCx60
Schedule of Deadlines for PMCx60
The Pre-meeting Congress X60 (PMCx60) is an annual meeting organized by the MSA Student Council (StC) for Students, Postdocs, and Early-career Professionals in Microscopy and Microanalysis. The PMCx60 is held in conjunction with the annual Microscopy and Microanalysis (M&M) Meeting.
In addition to the premier technical program, the PMCx60 features informal get-togethers on Friday and Saturday nights so participants can meet in a relaxed setting. The PMCx60 is scheduled to allow attendees to participate in Sunday Short Courses or Focused Interest Group (FIG) sponsored PMCs, or to enjoy a free day with new friends.
The PMCx60 is organized by, and tailored to, students and early-career professionals, however all are welcome to attend. The PMCx60 offers a highly interactive forum for participants to discuss their cutting-edge research, and to network and engage with peers ahead of the main meeting. Invited speakers are selected from the awardees to be honored at M&M, giving attendees a unique opportunity to sample the best research from their peers in biological science, physical science, analytical science, and instrumentation. Contributed posters also give attendees an opportunity to share their work with peers in an intimate and casual setting.
Additional professional development activities include a luncheon featuring a panel of recent graduates currently working in industry, academia, policy, and government labs. The PMCx60 and M&M are wonderful opportunities for students (undergraduate and graduate), postdocs, and early-career professionals to network with peers, members of academia and industry, as well as vendors from a variety of top companies who are invited to exhibit their latest developments during the PMCx60 Poster and Extended Networking Sessions.
PMCx60 2019 in Portland, Oregon
We are hard at work organizing the next PMCx60 in Portland, OR. Our preliminary program is below. See you there!
Thank you to our sponsors and supporters!
PMCx60 Meeting Highlights
Steps to attend the PMCx60
Schedule of Deadlines for PMCx60
Dec. 2, 2018 - M&M call for papers
Feb. 15, 2019 - M&M paper submission deadline
May 22, 2019 - PMCx60 financial aid award application deadline
June 25, 2019 - M&M and PMCx60 early-rate registration ends
July 9, 2019 - Deadline for submitting posters to be included in the printed PMCx60 program
July 21, 2019 - Poster late submission deadline
Attend the PMCx60
All are welcome, but we encourage you to share your work.
Present a poster
This is a great chance to expand your audience by presenting your research to peers and colleagues, and there is a cash prize for best poster and runner-up, as voted on by the PMCx60 attendees. Poster submission to the PMCx60 is very simple, just email your accepted M&M paper and the poster title to be printed in the PMCx60 program book to Meeting Chairperson.
PMCx60 financial aid
To apply for financial aid, please complete the PMCx60 Financial Aid Application Form.
**** FINANCIAL AID AWARD DETAILS ****
The PMCx60 organizers are pleased to offer financial support to qualifying PMCx60 registrants. All PMCx60 registrants are welcome to apply. The awards will be granted primarily on the basis of financial need -- those who are unable to attend the PMCx60 without a financial aid will be prioritized.
There is a limited number of financial aid awards available; to maximize the number of awards we are offering a reimbursement of $150 for students, and $235 for non-students. The aim here is to reimburse the cost of Early Rate registration, and provide $75 towards housing for PMCx60 attendees. Early Rate registration ends on June 25th, so register now!
If needed, we will prioritize individuals who are presenting posters at the PMCx60. The PMCx60 features two poster sessions, giving attendees the opportunity to share their work with peers ahead of the main M&M meeting. To submit a poster, email your accepted M&M paper, and the poster title to be printed in the PMCx60 program book, to Meeting Chairperson Ethan Lawrence at email@example.com.
Individuals who are attending the full M&M meeting (Aug. 4-8) will also be prioritized if needed.
To apply for financial aid, please complete the form, including a short justification for your application.
For more information about the PMCx60, email the Meeting Chairperson or MSA StC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**** IMPORTANT ****
TO ACCEPT THE FINANCIAL AID AWARD, YOU WILL HAVE TO PRODUCE PROOF OF REGISTRATION TO THE MAIN M&M MEETING (I.E. A REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION EMAIL). ONLY THEN WILL YOU BE PROVIDED WITH A COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATION TO THE PMCX60, AND BE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT PRODUCE PROOF OF REGISTRATION, YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARD WILL BE OFFERED TO AN APPLICANT ON THE WAITLIST
**** SCHEDULE ****
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 22, 2019
ROUND 1 AWARDEES AND WAIT LIST ANNOUNCED: MAY 24, 2019
ROUND 1 AWARD ACCEPTANCE DEADLINE (PROOF OF M&M REGISTRATION REQUIRED): JUNE 7, 2019
ROUND 2 AWARDEES ANNOUNCED: JUNE 7, 2019
ROUND 2 AWARD ACCEPTANCE DEADLINE (PROOF OF M&M REGISTRATION REQUIRED): JUNE 21, 2019
**** Information for award winners ****
You will receive free registration to PMCx60 and $75 for assistance with housing if you follow the following steps.
1. You MUST register for M&M 2019 by June 22. During registration, do not add a PMCx60 registration to your cart. Administrative personnel will add on a free, complimentary registration to your M&M registration next week.
2. If you wish to claim the $75 for housing/accommodation, you MUST stay at one of the 5 conference hotels. You are free to stay at other hotels or use Airbnb if you wish, but we can't give you the $75 reimbursement for your stay at these locations. To book a room at an M&M hotel, use the portal on this page: (https://www.microscopy.org/MandM/2019/hoteltravel/hotel.cfm).
3. Following M&M, you must use this form to receive the $75 reimbursement:
- You will need to complete & submit the form with receipt after you return home from the meeting. Reimbursements will be sent post-meeting.
- No payments will be disbursed at the meeting. (No exceptions, sorry.)
Information for presenters
For Platform Presenters
- Computers are NOT provided for your presentation. You must bring or arrange for your own computer for your presentation. Both Mac and PC formats are supported.
- The default ratio for projectors at M&M 2019 is 16:9 (high definition). Please plan your slides accordingly. A 4:3 ratio will work; however, there will be black vertical bars on either side of your projected image.
- Both HDMI and VGA cables will be provided. We recommend HDMI for HD projectors.
- If you don't have a computer to bring, ask your symposium organizer or session chair if you can use another presenter's machine.
- If you bring a computer, please make sure that you have administrative access and know the password.
- If possible, we suggest bringing your presentation on a flash drive and/or storing it online so that you have access to it in case your computer has technical problems.
- If you wish to preview your presentation, a Speaker Ready Room will be available in the Baltimore Convention Center.
For Poster Presenters
Posterboards at the M&M
meeting look like this.
- If you are in need of a printer to produce your poster, please click here.
- No A-V equipment will be provided for ANY poster presentations.
- Please hang posters during breakfast and remove them after the closing. All posters will be displayed Saturday morning through Saturday 5:15 PM.
- Each poster will be allocated a 92" wide x 45" high display area (see image above).
- NEW! - Each poster will be allocated an 18" deep x 92" wide table, placed directly below the board. This table may be used for a laptop or other supporting media or display. NO POWER WILL BE SUPPLIED - any supporting media must be able to run on battery power for up to two hours.
- Authors must provide their own male velcro hooks or push pins for mounting.
- A (suggested) 8-12-in. high strip at the top of your poster should contain the title of the paper and the name and affiliation of the author(s).
- The poster should have large legible text and figures, and describe the results in a manner that would be clear to a reader in the author's absence.
- Stereo images may be mounted and presented for stereo viewing using viewers provided by the author.
- Authors with videotape data are strongly advised to seek a platform presentation.
- Supporting the development of a thriving community of students and early career professionals in microscopy and microanalysis.
- Increased brand exposure to and recognition amongst the future leaders of the microscopy and microanalysis community.
- Recognition of support for students and early career professionals via online/printed PMCx60 promotional material and social networking initiatives.
- First access to network with the preeminent and award-winning young talent attending M&M 2019.
[[ ROOM LAYOUT OF POSTER BOARDS ]]
Support the PMCx60
Become a PMCx60 sponsor
To become a Sponsor, email us directly at email@example.com.
Benefits of sponsorship include
Donate to the PMCx60 and MSA Student Council (StC)
Meet the 2018-2019 PMCx60 Programming Committee
Arizona State University
|Biological Sciences Co-chair
Penn State University
|Physical Sciences Co-chair
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Virginia
Learn more about PMCx60
Previous PMCx60 meetings
2018 - Baltimore, MD
2017 - St. Louis, MO
To get involved, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks again to our sponsors and supporters!
Or go to https://microscopy.org/students/
Thanks again to our sponsors and supporters!