The MSA Student Council is organizing the second annual X60 Pre-meeting Congress (PMCx60) for Students, Postdocs, and Early-career Professionals in Microscopy & Microanalysis, to be held in conjunction with M&M 2018 in Baltimore. In addition to the premier technical program, the PMCx60 features informal get-togethers on Friday and Saturday nights so participants can meet in a relaxed setting. The PMCx60 is scheduled to allow attendees to participate in Sunday Short Courses or Focused Interest Group (FIG) sponsored PMCs, or to enjoy a free day in Baltimore with new friends.
The PMCx60 is organized by, and tailored to, students and early-career professionals, however all M&M registrants are welcome to attend. The PMCx60 offers a highly interactive forum for participants to discuss their cutting-edge research, and to network and engage with peers ahead of the main meeting. Speakers will be invited from awardees to be honored at M&M 2018, giving attendees an opportunity to sample the best research of their peers in biological science, physical science, analytical science, and instrumentation. Contributed talks and posters will give attendees an opportunity to share their work with peers in an intimate and casual setting. Further professional development opportunities will include a luncheon featuring a panel of recent graduates currently working in industry, academia, policy, and government labs.
The PMCx60 and M&M 2018 are wonderful opportunities for students (undergraduate and graduate), postdocs, and early-career professionals to network with peers, members of academia and industry, and vendors from a variety of top companies.
Pre-Meeting program highlights include
- Friday Evening Welcome Reception - To kick-off the PMCx60 with food, fellowship, and fun!
- Saturday Technical Program - Be the first to experience this unique opportunity to hear award-winning research from M&M 2018 awardees.
- Networking Luncheon - Enjoy lunch and panel discussion featuring recent graduates and industry professionals.
- Saturday Banquet - Celebrate the close of the PMCx60 with a reception in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor District.
To become a Sponsor, email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of sponsorship include
- Supporting the development of a thriving community of students and early career professionals in microscopy and microanalysis.
- Increased brand exposure to and recognition amongst the future leaders of the microscopy and microanalysis community.
- Recognition of support for students and early career professionals via online/printed PMCx60 promotional material and social networking initiatives.
- First access to network with the preeminent and award-winning young talent attending M&M 2018.
- Detailed sponsor benefits are tabulated below.
Or donate to the PMCx60 to become a Patron using the MSA Donate Button (https://www.microscopy.org/donation/). Please include "PMCx60" in the "Donation Made by:" field.
Learn more about M&M 2018 PMCx60:
M&M Call for Papers (available October 2017):
Official Meeting Guide Link: (coming soon)
2017 PMCx60 (St. Louis) Final Program:
Pre-Meeting Congress Agenda
Friday, August 3, 2018
6:00 – 9:00 pm
Pratt Street Ale House, 206 W Pratt St, Baltimore, MD
Saturday, August 4, 2018
7:30 – 8:30 am
8:20 – 8:30 am
William J. Bowman, Program Chair
8:30 – 10:00 am
MSA Early-career Major Award Winners
10:00 – 10:05 am
Remarks by MSA Outreach Coordinator
Poster Session, Networking, Refreshments
10:05 – 11:30 am
Poster Sessions I and II
11:30 am – 12:00 pm
12:20 – 1:20 pm
Early-career Panel Discussion
1:20 – 1:30 pm
Introduction to the MSA Student Council
Janet L. Gbur, MSA Student Council President
Parallel Technical Sessions
1:45 – 3:00 pm
Student/Postdoctoral Scholar Award Winners
Session Chair: Bukola Obayomi, Biological Sciences Co-Chair
Session Chair: Matt Caputo, Physical Sciences Co-Chair
3:00 – 3:30 pm
Coffee and refreshments
Joint Technical Session
3:30 – 4:45 pm
Biological/Physical Sciences Joint Session
Session Chair: William J. Bowman
Closing Remarks, Poster Prizes, Group Picture
William J. Bowman, Program Chair
Bob Price, MSA President
Spirit of Baltimore Dinner Cruise
Sponsor or donate to the PMCx60
Help build the future of microscopy and microanalysis
Program Chair: William J. Bowman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Biological Sciences Co-Chair: Bukola Obayomi, Arizona State University
Physical Sciences Co-Chair: Matt Caputo, Youngstown State University
Activities & Social Chair: Ethan L. Lawrence, Arizona State University
Laboratory for Electrochemical Interfaces
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Biological Sciences Co-chair
Arizona State University